Southern cornbread dressing is a favorite on our Thanksgiving table. Unfortunately cornbread, and bread for that matter, are not keto friendly! I baked the following recipe last night and it’s a keeper! Start to finish I spent about 2 hours until we had the finished dressing…BUT…the “cornbread” and “bread” can be prepared ahead of time and frozen – then you’d only have about 10 minutes prep time and 40-45 minutes baking time.Jump to Recipe
Keto Southern “Cornbread” Dressing
- 1 whole small skillet baked keto "cornbread", crumbled
- 3-4 thick slices keto sandwich bread, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups roasted chicken, shredded or cut into small strips
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the crumbled cornbread and bread. Add the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning; set aside.
- Saute the onion and celery in butter or olive oil til just tender. Add the sauteed vegetables to the mixing bowl and toss together til combined.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken bone broth and stir to combine. Add more broth in 1/4 cup intervals, as needed, until mixture starts clumping together – can hold a shape.
- Spoon the bread mixture into a greased or sprayed 9"x9" baking dish.
- Press pieces of roast chicken into the top of the dressing. Slowly pour more chicken broth over top until mixture is quite wet – but not soupy.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden in color, and dressing is set. Dressing will continue to thicken slightly as it sits/cools. Serve warm. See notes below if your dressing is not firm enough.
If you are looking for Keto friendly dessert ideas, please check out my *New* Keto Holiday Desserts Ebook
I will be posting a Keto friendly recipe for Cranberry Celebration in the next day or two… click the “Come Along” button on the top – right side of this post to be notified of new posts.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!