Yum! This is one of my favorite soups…especially when I add an entire package of pillowy soft Gnocchi! Delallo Potato Gnocchi is my favorite brand. I’ll use any excuse to cook with my favorite pot as well…my Le Creuset Cast-Iron French (Dutch) Oven, Marseille.
This soup is so rich and creamy with just the right amount of shredded carrots, roasted chicken and fresh spinach. Quick homemade lunches and dinners can be easily prepared if you plan ahead by making your weekly meal plan and grocery list. This recipe uses store bought gnocchi and an already roasted chicken that I picked up from Costco over the weekend. Plan to make this a once or twice a month meal this fall and winter. If you don’t go back for seconds, it makes a great “next day” lunch 🙂
In a stockpot or dutch oven, melt 3 Tbsp salted sweet cream butter and 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Dice the celery, carrot, and onion and add it to the pot. Cook on medium heat and stir until the onion becomes soft and translucent. Dice or shred the rotisserie chicken and add to the pot. Stir to combine.
Add flour to the chicken and vegetable mixture; stir to combine. Slowly pour in the chicken broth while stirring to break up any clumps of flour. Add the dried thyme and rosemary. Turn heat to low and place lid on the pot; let the soup simmer while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.
Cut the potato gnocchi in half and set aside.
Pour the half and half into the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. I use less salt because I use salted sweet cream butter. The last step is to chop up some fresh spinach and add it to the soup along with the gnocchi. Bring the soup to a boil for 2 minutes to cook the gnocchi. Turn heat down to simmer. Serve with warm french bread. Enjoy!
I didn’t get a picture of the soup in my bowl…apparently I was hungry and forgot!
It was YUMMY!
Stef’s Chicken Gnocchi Soup
3 Tbsp salted sweet cream butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 rotisserie chicken, diced or shredded
1 onion, diced
1/2 small pkg shredded carrots, slightly chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup flour
6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
2 cups half & half
1 Tbsp Salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 lb package potato gnocchi, cut each gnocchi in half
2 cups fresh spinach, run knife through slightly
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Dice the celery, carrot, and onion and add it to the pot. Stir until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Dice or shred the rotisserie chicken and add to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add flour to the chicken and vegetable mixture; stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth while stirring to break up any clumps of flour.
- Add the dried thyme and rosemary to the soup and let it come to a boil.
- Cut the potato gnocchi in half set aside.
- Pour the half and half into the soup and add salt and pepper.
- Chop up some fresh spinach and add it to the soup along with the gnocchi. Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes to cook the gnocchi through.
- Turn heat down to simmer. Serve with warm french bread.
Please share this recipe with your friends and family. If you make this recipe, please comment below and/or add your own pictures. Thanks for stopping by!